Horse racing: 10 fun ways to pick a horse to bet without knowing racing
Please feel free to share the http/link, but no cut-and-paste copying or republishing without permission of the National Equestrian Examiner.
Each horse is assigned a post position, indicating the spot from which that horse will leave the starting gate.
Top riders are prime horse racing picks, and for good reason. Tell the attendant how much you want to wager, and pass the cash through the window. Identify an individual interest. The top-rated horse may win, but this only happens about one third of the time, and the payout is the least of the lot. However, horse racing is all about fun for everyone, from dyed-in-the-wool racing fans to business moguls, socialites, and celebrities.
Betting on the horse with the highest odds may not prove prudent, but an entry with healthy odds may seize the day. With a full field of 20 horses, it costs $40 to bet on every entry to win. Certain riders tend to do well at particular racetracks or in specific race conditions. I’ll Have Another grabbed the Preakness Stakes in 2012. Go with your gut. Why not be adventurous and follow your own intuition? Even top horse racing handicappers are left scratching their heads when an unexpected horse wins a big race.
5. Be sure to mention the exact race you have chosen. All publication rights reside with the author.
Horse racing jockeys wear brightly colored jackets, called silks, provided by the equines’ owners.
Horse racing is a gamble for all, from riders to owners and trainers and wagering spectators. Clamp onto your favorite color. Skip the popular favorite. Jump for the jockey you like best.
How can you pick a racehorse for betting or basic crowd cheering? You can read tip sheets and racing forms.
The horse with the lowest odds is the most common bet. Looking at the race lineup, can you find a horse whose sire or grandsire has a familiar name? Why not go for good genetics?
7. Announce the type of bet you are making (such as to-win, win-place-show, the trifecta or another option).
Do you have a distant uncle or former boss who knows the owner or trainer of one of the horses? Did a certain pretty or particularly athletic horse pass by in the paddock and catch your eye? Pick the one that interests you personally.
6. If you are gaga for green, partial to pink, or totally about turquoise, bet on the horse bearing that hue.
This article originally appeared (in an earlier form) on another publisher’s property, which is now closed. Rags to Riches took the Belmont Stakes in 2007. Jockey silks are matched to the horses’ masks, if worn, and numbered saddle blankets. Don’t brag, if you bet on every horse, though. Just smile all the way to the betting window to collect your winnings, if you strike it big.
March up to the betting window.
4. Mine That Bird, despite his odd name, surprised fans by winning that race in 2009. Place a small bet on every horse in the field. If the favorite horse proves fastest, you might lose a few bucks. If you don’t follow horse racing, scan the daily program for a title that tickles you, and stick with it.
1. Give the name of the horse (or horses for a combination bet).
3. If you bet and lose a modest amount, you can chalk it up to race-day festivities.
10. Disney fans scored, betting on Animal Kingdom in the Kentucky Derby in 2011.
Never reveal your own betting strategy. Do you have favorite number? Go for it.
Bloodlines are big business in horse racing.
Unless you pick the high-priced wagering windows, the minimum straight bet is usually $2.
Check your ticket before you leave the betting window. You could watch broadcasts and hear top horse racing handicappers proclaim personal picks. Look for a long shot. Hold onto that still-precious paper until official race results are posted. Don’t follow the crowd with this rookie tactic. Choose your lucky number. This is considered a sissy bet at best.. Catch the catchiest name. Turn it in for your winnings, or tuck it away for prosperity, if your horse fails to finish first. For those who wish to take horse racing a bit more lightly, here are 10 fun ways to choose your favorite.
Whether one attends a Triple Crown race (i.e., the Kentucky Derby, the Preakness Stakes, or the Belmont Stakes), a major stakes event, or an everyday horse race, these simple horse-picking strategies can make wagering or simple cheering intriguing for those who choose to participate.
Often, racehorses’ monikers draw fan interest. If you have a favorite jockey, why not choose the horse he or she is riding? For Triple Crown races, in particular, plenty of horse racing fans support the mounts piloted by jockeys they prefer.
9. What fun is that?
This content is copyrighted. If so, those holding winning tickets will leave the track with big grins and bulging pockets.
Once you’ve selected your horse racing pick, here’s what you do. Pick a pedigree you recognize. However, if a long-shot racer is the victor, so much the better
Latest posts by sahanafoss (see all)
- Don’t Be a Square: 10 Tips for Betting on Football - February 10, 2017
- ISI Unveils Hooters-Themed Sports Betting Kiosks in Time for Super Bowl Sunday - January 23, 2017
- NFL Teams in Alphabetical Order - January 19, 2017
More from my site